In youth we learn; in age we understand.
— Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach
Okay, sorry if I scared you with this title. Nothing X rated or anything like that:) Had a couple of epiphanies over the weekend that confirmed my descent into adulthood.
I got into this weird fight a few months ago with my neighbor. She called me up and let me know Shane was a complete jerk to her kids. So, of course I launch into the fight or flight mode and go back to her questioning why if that was the case, why were her kids at my house 24-7?! Needless to say, she hung up on me, and we started that ignoring phase that is just so fun. A few days ago, I decided to make her cookies out of the blue and take them over. Just something random, but I wanted to get past the weirdness that had built up between us. Anyway, a few days later, her kids came over and presented me with a starter for Amish friendship bread. Moral of the story? Food is a good way to mend fences. Oh, and forgiveness is really freeing.
I also went with my Mom and sister to a funeral for my Mom's cousin over the weekend. She was just 59, and left behind some adult children, but also her husband and a 7 year old boy they had adopted. The speakers were so touching. But, watching the dad and little son cling to each other, almost killed me. I realized just then how grateful I am for eternal families--and for love for our families now. Just such an incredibly powerful emotion. The whole thing just made me think about my life and my family all weekend. Keep praying that somehow, some way, this little family will make it and everything will be okay. I am sure it will.
Lastly, Mack's last baseball game was tonight. We had so much fun. I remember at the first of the season, I was so freaked out because Mack was kind of not doing that well. Blamed Shane a lot for not doing more practicing with him (just because he has so much time and everything:), and each baseball game was just not fun because of my bad attitude. As the season has progressed, Mack has learned more, but I have also learned how to relax. Figured out it is no big deal if he is not that great--he had a total blast, and loved every second of it. You dream about your kids succeeding at everything, but in the end, you realize it is perfectly find if they are just mediocre and enjoying the journey.
Wow--lots to think about. I think I need some mindless TV:)


3 things to say about this...:
I think your right...almost everything with kids reminds you that it's about enjoying the journey...not so much perfecting it!
so true- about everything....
Great perspective Cas! It was fun to see Mack play baseball!
Post a Comment