CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!

Happy Birthday Mom! It was great this week to celebrate my Mom's birthday and reflect on our relationship. I started thinking of all the reasons I just love my Mom to pieces and thought it appropriate to let the world know how great I think she is:) Here are just a few of the highlights:

1. Her example - My mom is truly an inspiration to me. She persevered through some pretty rough stuff I wonder sometimes if I could handle. Through a difficult divorce with three little girls, to going to college when we were little, through a second marriage and trying to negotiate the stuff that blended families have to deal with, she has just done it all with grace and selflessness. She always reminded me that going to college right after high school was basically non-negotiable, and after seeing her slug her way through with kids, it really made me want to get it done while I had no other responsibilities other than myself. I am soooo grateful for that now. Can't even imagine for a second being in college right now with a job, husband and child.

Her devotion to religion also makes me admire her so much. She has never wavered from what she knows to be true, and gives every ounce of herself to whatever calling she is asked to do. It has made me strive to also put the same effort and love into church as well.

2. Her attitude - I know that Winston Churchill coined the euphemism that you should never, ever, ever, give up, but my mom just personifies that. Growing up, she always drilled into us that if you choose to accept a task, you give it everything you have got. She never let us just do anything half way, and was just there every step of the way pushing us. I have also learned from her that a smile and being gracious to people is just about the best beauty secret out there. People seem to gravitate to my mom because of her amazing attitude and sunnyness.

3. Her sacrifice - When I was 16, I didn't get that Guess jeans, cheerleading uniforms and hair products were lots of money. My mom worked her guts out to supply us with the latest, and I feel awful now I didn't understand then what stress this probably put her under. She recently vowed last year to get rid of all debt, and it has been awesome watching that. Guilt has definitely arisen as I figure lots of those dollars were probably spent on me at some point. I also loved how my mom taught me that being poor as long as you are happy is totally okay. I was thinking back the other day to my college days, and how great it was sitting in an art history class in the Museum of Fine Arts basement at the U at 2:00 in the afternoon. When will I ever get to do that again?! Shane and I were crazy poor, but we were happy and loving what we were doing. Thanks Mom for making me realize that was okay:) I am also really grateful to my mom for her career choice. I know that when my mom went back to school after her divorce, her dream was to be an attorney. Realizing that would probably be super hard with four kids, she opted to teach school so she could be home more. While I know this job sometimes drives her over the edge, I am grateful that she was there for us in the evenings and weekends. Hang in there mom--just a little longer!

4. Being a working mom will not make your kids crazy - This is often a subject I am really sensitive about as I am a working mom out of the home. I often wonder if Mack will turn out to be some serial killer because I wasn't at home with him all of the time. I find solace in my mom's example that with a little extra creativity and help, things can work out okay. I guess I always admired my mom's career outside of the home, and always dreamed about what I would do when I grew up too outside of being a wife and mom. I guess I have learned from my mom that everyone is a little bit different, and that is perfectly acceptable.

Mom--love you so much:) Thanks for all you do for me!

0 things to say about this...:

My Blog List

My Blog List